Domestic violence is ultimately about
POWER AND CONTROL.
17 signs of a battering personality
- Controlling Behavior
- Quick Involvement
- Unrealistic Expectations
- Verbal Abuse
- Rigid Gender Roles
- Cruelty to Children & Animals
- “Playful” Use of Force during Sex
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
- Blames others for Problems
- Blames others for Feelings
- Past Battering
- Threats of Violence
- Breaking or Striking Objects
- Any Use of Force During an Argument
There are numerous barriers which make it difficult for a victim to leave an unhealthy relationship. Try not to judge a victim for staying.
Safety planning is essential to maximize a safe transition. A victim has a greater chance of being killed when leaving the situation, not remaining in it.
Do not ignore signs of abuse.
- Say what you see.
- Offer support.
- Make referrals for community advocates and resources.
No one asks to be abused. Abuse is the batterer’s problem, not the victim’s.
For more information on domestic violence, signs to watch for and how you can help or get help, visit: www.safeplace.org or call 512-267-SAFE, 1-866-331-9474 or 512-926-9616 TTY.
Adapted from a document by the Travis County Sheriff’s Office