The following article is the seventh installment on Community Safety by Travis County Sheriff Outreach Deputy James Kitchens.
- Never give personal information (name, age, address, etc.) to a stranger on the telephone
- Never let a stranger on the telephone know when you will or will not be home
- Never let a stranger on the telephone know you are home alone; instruct baby sitters never to tell anyone who calls that they are home alone with the children
- Teach children old enough to be left alone never to tell a stranger who telephone that the parents are gone. Teach them to say, “My mom can’t come to the phone now. May I take a message?”
- Credit Card/Social Security Number, etc. Do not give out credit card or social security number to someone whom you do not know or whom YOU did not call.