by Wanda Holcombe
The WB Birding Group looks forward to a productive year in 2015 as our park, streams and pond attract even more birds with the continuing care, and backyards become healthy natural habitats. If you are interested in finding out more about how your backyard can become a Certified Wildlife Habitat, visit the National Wildlife Federation website at nwf.org or attend the January 17th meeting of the WB Garden Guild (see calendar to the right). Continue reading Birding in Wells Branch
–Courtesy of SafeKids.org
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that you cannot see, taste or smell. Each year, 184 children in the United States die due to carbon monoxide poisoning and more than 20,000 children visit the emergency room.
Young children are especially vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide because of their smaller bodies. Children process carbon monoxide differently than adults, may be more severely affected by it, and may show signs of poisoning sooner. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea and drowsiness.
Fuel-powered devices can provide wonderful benefits to families when used properly. But they also underscore an important necessity in the home: the need for a carbon monoxide alarm. Carbon monoxide poisoning can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or cars left running in garages. At its worst, carbon monoxide can cause severe side effects or even death.
Top Tips –
- Make sure your home has a carbon monoxide alarm. As with smoke alarms, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home, especially near sleeping areas, and keep them at least 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
- Carbon monoxide alarms are not substitutes for smoke alarms, and vice versa. Combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are available.
- Don’t use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your home, garage or near a window.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Don’t leave a car, SUV or motorcycle engine running inside a garage.
- If using gasoline-powered devices, store gasoline in a locked location where children cannot access it. Keep only small quantities in an approved container that has child safety features.
- Keep gasoline away from any source of heat, spark or flame. Even common household appliances such as water heaters and clothes dryers can start a gasoline fire. Be sure to store your gasoline away from anything that could ignite it.
As holiday traditions in Wells Branch continue to grow, we hope you’ll take this opportunity to reconnect with family, friends and neighbors and reach out to new folks who’ve recently joined our community. To all the regulars, we look forward to seeing you and if you’ve never attended a community event here, please make time to come and join your neighbors in the festivities. Continue reading Ho, Ho, Ho! Holiday Traditions Abound in Wells Branch!
With the bustle of the holidays just around the corner, now is the time to make sure we’re taking every precaution to keep our homes and ourselves as safe as possible. We usually see an increase in opportunistic crime this time of year; we need to be especially vigilant. Continue reading Holiday Safety Tips
Thanksgiving Potluck – November 22
Wells Branch kicks off the holiday season with its annual Thanksgiving Potluck dinner hosted by Wells Branch MUD. Fellowship will be held from 6-8pm at the Recreation Center, located at 3000 Shoreline Drive. Everyone is encouraged to bring a side dish or dessert to serve 10. The turkey, ham, dressing, potatoes, bread, and beverages will be provided and served by the WB MUD.
This is a wonderful Wells Branch tradition! We hope you’ll be able to join us! Continue reading Thanksgiving Potluck – November 22