48,000 Central Texas neighbors look to the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas as their hunger safety net. 20,000 of those in need are children. Many children in low-income families do not receive well-balanced evening meals because their caregivers work late hours or cannot afford nutritious food. Hunger is hurting our economy, our future, our health, our opportunities and our national security.
The Capital Area Food Bank nourishes hungry Central Texans by providing food and grocery products to more than 21 Central Texas counties. It reaches 300,000 clients each year through a network of 300 agencies. In fiscal year 2010-11, Central Texas Food Rescue brought in 6.2 million pounds of food.
We have several opportunities to support area food banks in our community. Let’s show our neighbors in need how generous Wells Branch can be!
- Horizon Realty is sponsoring a food drive during the month of November. You may drop off your non-perishable food donation at the Wells Branch Recreation Center located at 3000 Shoreline Drive or at Northwest Elementary School located at 14014 Thermal Dr. (just off Wells Branch Pkwy). Donations will be accepted through Mon, Dec. 3rd.
- The Pflugerville Fire Dept. Annual Food Drive will run through Dec. 15th. It will support local Pflugerville Food Banks. Drop your donations off at ESD No. 2 Fire Station 2 on the corner of Shoreline Drive and Bratton Lane. Monetary donations can be taken or mailed to 203 E. Pecan St., Pflugerville, TX 78660.
- The Wells Branch Community Library is also collecting donations through their own food drive beginning Dec. 1st and continuing through Dec. 31st; the library is located at 15001 Wells Port. Check their website for hours: www.wblibrary.org.
What should I donate?
- healthy, non-perishable food
- items with intact, un-opened, consumer or commercial packaging
- items with non-breakable packaging (no glass, please)
- items that are not past their expiration date
What are the most-requested items?
- canned meats like tuna, stew and chili (pop-tops preferred)
- canned vegetables
- pasta & pasta sauce
- healthy cereals
- peanut butter
For questions, contact Tammy DeWitt Le (Horizon) at (512) 773-3214, Lt. Tim Wallace (ESD No.2) at 251-2801, or Donita Ward (WB Library) at (512) 989-3188.
Thank you for your support!