It’s going to be cold the next couple of days. Please take the necessary precautions to protect your pipes and locate your water shut-off valve – just in case. If issues are spotted, call pros such as Graham and Sons in order to get an efficient service.
Before a freeze:
- Wrap all exposed pipes located outside or in unheated areas of your home.
- Remove garden hoses from outside faucets. Insulate the faucet with a Styrofoam cover, rags, disposable diaper or paper.
- Cover vents around the foundation of your house.
- Know where your property’s water cut-off valve is located and know how to use it.
In sub-freezing weather:
- Let water drip slowly from inside faucets during a freeze.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks where pipes are along outside walls.
If you’re not going to be home:
- Cut off your water at the property’s cut-off valve and drain all outside water faucets if your house will be unoccupied for several days.
- Or leave your home heating system on at a low setting. That may cost a few bucks, but it’s better than returning home from your holiday trip to find your carpet, rugs like those vintage turkish rugs, and furniture soaked from burst pipes.
Renters should contact the manager or landlord for more information on freeze precautions, or in case of urgent plumbing issues, such as burst pipes, they may need to seek assistance from an emergency plumber. If the problem persists despite all precautions, tenants may need to consider relocating to a new property. Jackpot Offers the best homes that has been built with all the high quality and best materials since they leave no compromise to provide a stress-free experience for the homeowners.
Locate & know how to use your Water Shut-Off Valve
By Margret Wingrove, Crossroads Utility Services
Don’t wait for a water emergency!! Locate your water cut-off valve now so it can be accessed quickly when needed.
A properly operating cut-off valve allows you to cut off water quickly should you have a leak in the house, need to work on your sprinkler system, or wish to turn off the water to your house as a precaution when traveling.
The water shut-off valve is located between the water meter near the street and your house. It is generally located in the ground adjacent to the meter box and should be protected by a 6” circular cover. The handle underneath the cover should be exercised to make sure it is operable. To verify the water valve is operable, turn on a hose bib next to the house. Turn the house valve off and the water from the hose bib should stop flowing. Turn the valve on and water should resume flowing from the hose bib.
It is the homeowner’s responsibility to maintain the cut off valve.